Friday, October 26, 2012

For anyone who doesn't know November is National Writing Month.  This will be the fourteenth year for an event called NaNoWriMo.  For those who writes or would like to write it is a fun time.  Thousands join this activity to try to write the first draft of a novel in one month.  The goal is to complete 50,000 words.  Approximately a quarter of a million people gave it a try last year and one out of seven completes the task.  As a result somewhere around 100 people have eventually had books published from their efforts over the years.

It is a great way to be part of a group of like minded people.  There are lots of avenues for chatter, encouragement, and suggestions.  Above and beyond that it is a sure way to motivate yourself to sit down and write.  Three years ago I decided to give it a try, and I've been writing every since.  My first published novel, Antique Magic, was conceived during NaNoWriMo so I know personally it is a worthwhile activity.

For dedicating one month to writing I received a certificate, my son bought me a tee shirt bragging I'd completed the goal, and I eventually published my book.

Give It A Try!

No comments:

Post a Comment